Tuesday 31 July 2012

Whooosh and they are off





I've been putting it off, hoping it will go away and generally avoiding the issue but it just has to be done - I really must just stop Dressing A Girl Around the World!


I started this project just over a month ago and I honestly believe I could actually go on and on. Upcycling odds and ends of fabric and bigger dresses can be awkward and frustrating but, turns out, overcoming the various challenges is all part of the fun. 


Two packages have now been sent off to Louise Horler from Sew Scrumptious, the UK International Partner for the charity and I'm in the process of packaging up my final parcel. Incredibly, Louise has already collected over 2000 dresses from sewers in the UK and on 14th August the latest consignment will be off to Uganda. How exciting is that?





As you can see, I have done all I can to use up every scrap of fabric so that each dress has a tiny doll wearing a matching dress, some kind of hairband and an extra pocket or a little bag to keep the doll in.


       
As is always the way with upcycling sewing projects, 
there's always a scrap of fabric or a matching 
button which can be added.








Then there are the challenges of adapting clothes for little girls. Sometimes I have added an extra layer of fabric so that the dresses are not see-through in the brightest sunshine. Occasionally I have added a panel across the top because, without the recipient to hand, I have wanted to be sure to preserve their modesty.


One thing I know for certain, I will return to making dresses for this amazing charity and several others I have found out there before long. 


It's been a wonderful feel-good creative challenge - try it!



No comments:

Post a Comment