Tuesday 24 April 2012

Moths away!

No idea why I have made such a meal of this project ... after all it's so similar to my buzz off project, but with added colour! I think I've probably been slow to move on because it's been so fun and strangely satisfying.
       After all there are so many nasty (but effective) way to keep moths away and yet natural remedies such as peppermint and chamomile are just as effectibe. The trouble is, how to contain them?
  A quick bit of research online and it turns out that moths, even good old British ones, are not always the ugly sisters of the insect world, which got me thinking.... 


Once marked out, I put the moth shape into an embroidery hoop and let my needle do the talking...
  A cut out circle in a plain fabric (if the moth is patterned) or in a patterned fabric (if the moth is plain) and and I was off!


But how do you get enough herby filling into a tricky shape like this? I'm not sure where the brainwave came from but after one messy episode with loose herbs, I came across the idea of using chamomile or peppermint teabags - ideal for squishing into the body/tail!
As you can see the possibilities of this project have inspired me and I'm on my third version already - who'd have thought?





No comments:

Post a Comment