Tuesday 8 May 2012

A fabric bowl





Yonks ago, I saw a (jeanius!) design for a bowl made out of fabric in a library book and before I returned it, I made some scrappy notes for 'when I had the time' to try one out, half thinking, probably that it would never happen.


Now let me tell you, over the last few days I have had cause to curse my poor record keeping, not to mention my lack of faith, as I have struggled to get a good shape to my bowl, fiddled with embellishments and experimented with an old straw hat. By yesterday though, I was wondering how on earth I managed before I made my denim bowl, handy as it is for carrying all the bits and bobs I'm using on a particular project as I move from my studio to other parts of the house. It's squishiness turns out to be a bit of a bonus as it can fit into all kinds of spaces on shelves and seems to reshape itself pretty well.


It's not sturdy enough as an actual fruit bowl (which was my optimistic hope when I opted for the apple design), although it could probably manage the weight of one apple, but as something knocked up from a charity pair of jeans I'm really quite happy with this as a first attempt! 


Can't wait to get started on more variations of the fabric bowl...


No comments:

Post a Comment